Boy’s Soccer Recap Week 7 and Week 8

Fivay Falcon Soccer

Week 7



Flying high on a four game winning streak, the Falcons host the first of two games before the holiday break.  The Wesley Chapel Wildcats came to town to battle our birds.

Off to a fast start, Greg Alves opens the scoring four minutes into the game banging in a rebound on a corner kick from Francisco Banos.  At the thirteen minute mark, it was Alves stiking again taking a pass from Banos giving the Falcons a 2-0 lead.  This tandem was at it once more when Banos makes a tremendous run receiving a pass from Alves to extend the Fivay advantage.  However, the Wildcats notched a goal before halftime closing the first session with the Falcons leading 3-1.

Wesley Chapel used this momentum connecting for a score just seven minutes into the second half trimming the deficit to one score.  The Wildcats continued turning up the pressure in the Falcon zone and hammered in the tying goal at the fifteen minute mark.  That tally seemed to ignite the Falcon attack but Wesley Chapel’s defense held their ground as the contest ended in a 3-3 deadlock.


The Hernando Leopards visited the Falcon’s nest looking to sweep their season series.  Hernando took a 2-0 win in the first meeting which was a very physical contest.

Throughout the first half, the Falcons carried the play as they continued to attack the Leopard’s zone.  Hernando managed to turn back the continuous pressure bringing the first stanza to a close knotted at zero.

As the second half got underway the physicality got more intense and the Leopards generated some opportunities.  But Fivay was up to the task keeping them off the scoreboard.  Finally, midway through the session, Christopher Mancini launched a bomb from thirty-five yards out the fooled the Hernando goalkeeper dropping into the far upper corner giving the Falcons the lead.  Play continued to heat up between the two clubs.  Then the Leopards, tied the score.  Flagrant fouls resulted in two red cards for Hernando as the game ended 1-1. 

After the break: home v. Wiregrass Ranch, home v. Gulf, at Anclote.

Fivay Falcon Soccer

Week 8


The Bulls from Wiregrass Ranch came to Fivay with their sights set on registering their second win over the Falcons during the regular season.  Earlier, the Bulls handed our birds a 4-0 setback.

The Falcons were determined to match the skill Wiregrass brings to the field.  In the eighth minute, Fivay set up for a free kick from twenty-five yards away.  Greg Alves made the most of this set piece by blasting a shot into the upper corner of the Bulls goal.  The teams exchanged skill and scoring opportunities throughout the first half.  Both clubs had their defense in high gear as the half ended with a 1-0 Falcon lead.

The second half picked where the first half ended as the defenses stopped scoring chances on both sides.  Then the Bulls tied the game at the six minute mark.  This contest continued to be a see-saw affair with the teams looking for that illusive go ahead goal.  With five minutes left, Wiregrass penetrated the Falcon defense and logged that goal and sealed a 2-1 victory.


Gulf High School came into the Falcon’s nest with visions of first place in their sights.  The Buccaneers won the first meeting between the two squads, the only league loss for Fivay so far this season. 

This game was reminiscent of how their game earlier in the season was played.  Hard nosed and spirited play was the tone of the evening.  The Falcons seemed to carry most the action as the Buccaneers continued to counter attack.  As the teams continued to toil, the defenses would thwart every attempt as the clubs entered halftime scoreless.

The second half opened as the first half closed.  The intensity continued to grow as the game progressed.   Both teams looked to gain an edge as play became more physical.  Sadly, a very good and entertaining game was marred by a brawl as the game wound down with less than two minutes.  Four Gulf players and one Fivay player received red cards as the tilt ended in a scoreless draw.


Traveling to Anclote for a meeting with the Sharks, the Falcons were set to lock up the top spot in the league standings. 

Nikolai Tonello opened the scoring after receiving a pass from Jimmy Bors just six minutes into the game.  Francisco Banos converted a Ray Vivino pass staking Fivay to a 2-0 halftime advantage.

As the second half began, Chris Didik took a Tonello pass and deposited it into the Shark’s net with only two minutes gone in the frame.  A goal from Jimmy Bors on a penalty kick extended the Falcon lead.  Robbie Brown logged his first goal of the season four minuted later.  Vivino tallied the final Fivay goal of the evening giving the birds a 6-0 lead.  The Sharks continued to battle and broke through scoring with three minutes to play.

The 6-1 final clinched the top spot in the league for the Falcons.

Up next:  home v. Sunlake, home v. Land O’Lakes, home v. Pasco.


Translate »