We want to thank you for taking the time to consider joining our band program here at Fivay High School. We offer all of our members the opportunity to become a well-rounded musician, to become a leader, to make friends, to travel, and to have fun. Being a member of the Fivay High School Falcon Band, can be one the greatest experiences that you will remember for the rest of your life. Here’s just a little bit more information, that can help you make your decision to join our program.
What kind of commitment am I making for the Marching Band?
- We ask that all band students attend our Summer Band Camp. This year’s camp took place from August 8-August 12, from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. We ask that every student contribute $50.00 towards camp, to help with the cost of providing lunch, snacks, soda, water, music, etc….
- During the Marching Band season, we rehearse two times per week. Our rehearsals typically take place on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s. In addition to our band rehearsals, there may be one sectional per week, which takes place before/after one of our weekly rehearsals.
- During the Marching Band season, we perform at all home football games (generally Friday nights), two away games and the FBA Marching Festival (Saturday, November 5th).
What kind of commitment am I making for Concert Band?
- During the Concert Band season, we rehearse as a full band one time per week. In addition to our full band rehearsal, we also ask that each student attend one sectional per week. Woodwind Sectionals (Flute, Clarinet, Alto Sax) take place on Monday afternoons. Brass Sectionals (Tenor Sax, Bari Sax, Trumpet, Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba) take place on Wednesday afternoons. Percussion sectionals take place on Friday afternoons.
- Our typical performances include a Holiday Concert (in mid-late December), Spring Concert (in mid-late May), FBA Concert Festival (in March). With enough student interest, it is possible that there may be a trip, which would include a performance.
- Students will also have the opportunity to participate in various Honor Band’s throughout the state, such as the Pasco All-County Band, FBA All-State Bands, USF’s Festival of Winds, FSU’s Tri-State Festival, and UT’s Quad-County Honor Band.
- We also encourage our students to participate in the FBA Solo and Ensemble Festival (which takes place in February).
Can I play sports or do other activities and be in the band too?
YES! We encourage our students to pursue all of there interests while at Fivay High School. So far, we’ve had students in band participate in Swimming, Choir, Cross Country, Track, Tennis, and Soccer. We will make every effort to work with you and your coach to make this possible. We only ask that you are fair, and split your time evenly between band and sports.
Will I be able to take band for all four years?
YES! Not only can you be in band for all four years, but it is possible to be in both concert/marching band and jazz band for all four years. For more information, please speak to Mr. Schmidt or your Fivay High School Guidance Counselor.
What about fees?
We pride ourselves on being one of the most reasonably priced band programs in the county. Our fee’s for the entire year (excluding supplies and additional trips) comes out to approximately $200.00! If you are a returning band member, your yearly band fees can cost as low as $100.00! These fees include your Band Polo Shirt, Marching Band T-shirt, Band Shoes, Uniform Cleaning Fee, and more.
We do hold regular (fall and spring) fundraisers to help students meet these financial obligations. We have never turned a student away because of financial difficulties. We’re willing to help you, as long as you make an effort!
Any additional trips are optional and are not required. Before any trip is announced, each student will be given a trip survey. The trip survey allows us to gauge the interest level for our trips. If there is enough interest, then we take the trip! Even as a new school we’ve performed at Raymond James Stadium for USF football games, performed in Orlando, and even performed at the Lakeside Jazz Festival in Daytona Beach!
How do I join the Guard?
To join our Guard, you need to try-out. Try-outs take place at the very end of each school year. Anyone is welcome to try-out. If you make the Guard, you will need to adjust your school schedule to be in our Eurythmics class. Experience is not required.
So what do we do now?
- Sign-up for Band! If you need help, contact Mr. Schmidt.
- Fill our our information sheet (before you leave for the summer). This information allows us to send home information regarding Band Camp and the next school year.
- Get to know this website. We post everything you’ll need to know here, including forms, handouts, fundraising information, calendars, etc…
- Get ready for an exciting four years as a member of the Fivay High School Falcon Band!
For any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com.